ULM’s Kappa Alpha Order Presents $2600 Check during the MDA Labor Day Telethon

Kappa Alpha Order volunteers: Matt Swilley, Tyler Wheeler, Harry Hawthorne, Nic Antis, Lyle Johnson, Daniel Orozco, Mathieu Boudreaux, Aaron Aitken, Ryan Richardson and Max Campbell answer phones during the 2011 MDA Labor Day Telethon.

ULM’s Kappa Alpha Order’s philanthropy efforts capacitated a $2600 check that was presented to the Muscular Dystrophy Association during its annual MDA Labor Day Telethon at KNOE studios on September 4th. Approximately 150 television stations syndicated the 2011 Telethon that aggrandized $61,491,393 nationally; MDA’s greatest telethon achievement since 2008. The Kappa Alpha Order raised $180,000 nationally and has raised a total of $2.6 million since 1975 to foster and promote the alleviation of the conditions of persons with muscular dystrophy.

Furthermore, ten associates of ULM’s Gamma Nu chapter volunteered in the Telethon by answering phone calls from MDA benefactors from 6 p.m. to midnight. The phones rang incessantly and boisterous chatter filled the KNOE studio. Despite the bombastic environment, the Kappa Alpha Order volunteers efficiently answered phones and even had the time to make a few light-hearted jokes.

Tyler Wheeler, a Criminal Justice major, was among the volunteers that participated in the Telethon. “We [Kappa Alpha Order] have been working diligently to raise money for MDA. We have had successful fundraising events such as our Rock a’ Thon. I was proud to answer the phones and help support this worthy organization.”

Daniel Orozco, a Radiology Technology major, also answered the phone lines. He offered his perspective, “The phone lines were extremely busy, but we still managed to have fun. I am so glad that I made a positive impact for persons affected by muscular dystrophy. The Gamma Nu chapter is committed to continuing our philanthropy efforts for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.”

Interested in supporting the Muscular Dystrophy Association? You can donate money or find ways to volunteer by visiting www.mda.org or by calling 888-HELP-MDA.