Water ski freshmen share 1st place at home to help team put on a dominant performance

The ULM water ski team dominated the bayou at their home tournament Saturday with standout performances from first year skiers. This year’s team includes nine freshmen, and although it may be young, it’s definitely not lacking in talent.

The Warhawks won the men’s slalom with four of their five skiers scoring in the top five out of 32 competitors. ULM Freshmen James Earl and Tyler Scott tied for first place and set the standard for the tournament.

“I skied my personal best today. I haven’t even done that well in practice,” Earl said, “It was a great way to start the day and the season.”

ULM also breezed through women’s slalom with Warhawk skiers taking three of the top five places. Freshman Nikki Waitt won the event boosting the team to a 200 point lead over its nearest competitor, the University of Louisiana-Lafayette.

Waitt said, “It felt good today. I’m really pleased since it was my very first collegiate tournament. Nothing can beat a win.”

As the day continued, ULM remained on top of the leader board in both the men’s and women’s jump events with other first year skiers posting high scores and veteran Zack Worden bringing home an individual win. The tournament was suspended by dark Saturday evening, which moved the men’s and women’s trick events to Sunday morning. ULM was in the lead with only two events remaining, and was expected to win.

The final results will be posted.

Team manager Treina Landrum believes this year’s ULM water ski team has what it takes to win the national tournament. Nationals will be held at Bennett’s Ski School in Zachary, LA, just north of Baton Rouge on October 13-15. Landrum encourages ULM students to come support the water ski team in its attempt to win the 2011 Collegiate Water Ski National Championship.