Homecoming, Miss ULM: wrong to take both?

Don’t hate because she’s beautiful; talent, popularity aren’t the same

“You like me, you really like me!” Like the jubilation expressed by Sally Field after winning her Oscar, maybe Miss ULM and Homecoming Queen Jessica Gilbert is feeling the same way. But is it fair for one girl to create a monopoly of her popularity?

With the recent crowning of Gilbert as both Homecoming Queen and Miss ULM, that question begs to be answered. Some may find it unfair for one girl to hold both crowns. However, unless there is a rule stating that one girl cannot win both titles, why hate her because she is pretty and popular?

It’s not her fault everyone likes her. Many girls like Gilbert have their eyes set on becoming college royalty, but there is much more that goes into being queen than just looking good in a crown. Each Homecoming contestant must have a 2.5 GPA and must be nominated by at least one on-campus organization.

Even with that criteria, most still want their candidates to paint on that smile and be “nice” to get our votes.

If you are like myself, you do not even know the majority of the people that run for Homecoming court. The determining factor for me is always primarily, do I know you? Secondly, are you pretty? Perhaps a bit shallow, but when all you have to rely on is a picture, a subjectively superficial decision must be made.

However, Miss ULM is a decision made by judges, not the masses or lust-filled college boys. These girls need at least a smidgen of talent and have to be able to sell themselves to these judges. That further proves Gilbert must have a quality about her not only her peers admire but appeals to other generations as well.

So to that I say, if you feel Jessica Gilbert doesn’t deserve to be both Homecoming Queen and Miss ULM, then you should have competed and beaten her.

View Comments (1)