November celebrates national no shave month

Men often get judged by their appearance based on facial hair. Having a trimmed beard or the shaved look is what the public looks for, but not this month.

“If you know you can grow a massive man-beard, than this is your contest.” said Tamarra Medina, senior head of CAB’s special entertainment committee, from Baton Rouge.

Thirteen brave students were willing to compete in ULM’s first competition ever of “No Shave November” sponsored by Campus Activities Board.

Male students were asked to shave on Oct. 31 and then let their manly beards grow free for the rest of the month. The last day to sign up was Oct. 31, and random men of all ages signed up. The person in charge of “No Shave November” is Tamarra Medina who is the Entertainment Committee Head of CAB and is a medical lab science major.

Senior pre-nursing major Philip Webb from Monroe said, “I feel like I have a chance in the competition. It sounds like a fun way to be involved on campus.”

A $200 prize pack will be awarded to the lucky guy who has the most rugged, manliest-looking beard at the end of this month. The pack will include ULM gear and gadgets, electronics, gift cards, etc. The winner will also receive the title of being recognized on campus as “Mr. Novembeard.”

“I think it’s cool because I hate to shave!” said Sophomore pre-nursing major Johnathan Ledet from Cut Off. “My mom even said I should do it.”

This started out as a way for men to give back during Breast Cancer Awareness month but turned into a fun contest for ULM students to compete in. CAB hopes to one day turn No Shave November into a charity event.

They would also like to include the ladies next year in the competition since some girls asked about participating this year.

Track the progress of these young men at http://www.facebook.com/ulmcab where it will be updated weekly.