Murder mystery makes students play detective

Melvin Grimes, the secretary and treasurer for the Residntial Hall council of Bayou Suites, plays Paul Evans in the Murder Mystery Show.

Who did it? With what? And where? For those who love a good mystery, Bayou Suites held their very first Murder Mystery Show last week for residents put on by the Residential Hall Council (RHC) of Bayou Suites. The students of Bayou Suites were asked to gather in one room where the story would be presented to them, following the chance for everyone to look for clues and question the characters. The students were rewarded with an ice cream social afterwards for all their hard work.

“It was a nice way to meet people that live in my dorm,” said Hope Barton, freshman mass communication major from Mansfield, Texas. “We bonded trying to figure out the mystery together.”

Every semester, Bayou Suites gets a stipend of $300 to spend on the residents living there. The money allows them to do something fun for the students, but they also have to do a community service project. The murder mystery event was thanks to the effort of the RHC of Bayou Suites: Tess Dupre (president), Josh Dupree (vice-president), Melvin Grimes (secretary/ treasurer), James Waldron, Victoria Burleigh, Chris Maxwell, Destiny Dumas, and Dylan Leblanc (floor representatives).

The play was scripted by Dupree who spent almost a month putting the play together reflecting themes similar to “Clue.”

Dupre, a junior toxicology major from Houma, said, “We, as the RHC of Bayou Suites, wanted to put on a program to give them a fun way to escape from studying for a few hours.”

The next thing Bayou Suites plans to focus on is their community service project. They ask residents to bring canned goods for military people currently in the war. This way their dorm can make a difference.

Dupree asked the residents after their first Murder Mystery Show if they would like to do it again, and the answer was a resounding yes. The RHC of Bayou Suites plans to put on another show in the spring.