Chamber singers perform during fall choral concert

Hailey Hatcher sings in the Fall Choral Concert “CELLS, PLANETS... Same Thing.”
Hailey Hatcher sings in the Fall Choral Concert “CELLS, PLANETS… Same Thing.”

Hair-raising harmonies filled the air at the Fall Choral Concert, “CELLS, PLANETS…Same Thing” last Tuesday night.

The School of Visual and Performing Arts Division of Music presented their fall concert at the United Methodist Church in Monroe.

Members of the University Chorale, Concert Choir and Chamber Singers performed with Deborah Chandler as director of choral activities, Jarrod Richey as assistant director of choral activities, and Julian Jones as choral accompanist.

The Ouachita Parish High School Choir gave a guest performance as well.

The large stain glass window and towering organ pipes set behind the singers painted the perfect picture at the front of the church.

Among the crowded pews in the sanctuary were students, family members and friends of the singers. Pres. Nick Bruno was also there for support.

The ULM choral students have been rehearsing for this performance since the beginning of the semester.

“Rehearsals are always a long process,” Alyssa Flowers, a senior musical theater major and chamber singer of Shreveport said. “When we all work together to get the same kind of sound and unison, it truly is an amazing moment.”

According to Flowers, each song is broken down so that attention can be paid to all of the many details.

The hard work must have paid off because the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

“I thought it was beautiful and well put together. They all did a tremendous job,” said Ashlyn McClung, a freshman ULM student from Pineville who attended the concert. There was lots of applause and even a standing ovation.

The concert wrapped up with the entire audience and choir singing the ULM Alma Mater.

View Comments (1)