Community Celebrates ULM University Park

Officials from ULM, the City of Monroe, and northeast Louisiana cut the ribbon on ULM’s University Park.

ULM Hawkeye

Almost 20 years ago, community leaders conceived of a park that would attract K-12 tournaments and host college intramural sports. Today, the City of Monroe and the Monroe-West Monroe Convention and Visitors Bureau, and several other community leaders, celebrated that dream—University Park at the University of Louisiana at Monroe.

ULM President Nick Bruno said today’s ribbon-cutting of the facility is critical to the economic success of the region.

“The complex is used year-round by area youth who compete in baseball, softball and football, and is used for tournaments that attract families from all over the country. These families will eat in our restaurants, stay in our hotels and shop in our stores,” Bruno said. “And of course, our ULM students who participate on intramural teams will benefit greatly from University Park.”

ULM student Clay Branton, a sophomore biology major from Sterlington, spoke of the park’s importance.

“University Park provides student groups the opportunity to interact outside of the classroom in a safe and fun atmosphere. With more than 25 different intramural sports offered throughout the year, nearly all students can find an activity that interests them.”

Major renovations funded by the CVB, Monroe and other community leaders provided: new lighting, scoreboards,backstops, dugouts, bleachers, drainage, fencing, entrance, flag poles, foul poles, and windscreens. TB Architecture assisted in developing the plans for this facility. Future upgrades are in the works.

Some of the finest features of the newly-upgraded facility are the wireless, LED scoreboards. Sponsors include Raising Cane’s, McDonald’s, Taco Bell and ULM. For more information about University Park, call 342-5305