Spring performance director brings Broadway experience

Over these next couple weeks, Robin Stephens will be working hard with students to put together the musical “Chicago.”

This is her first time directing a production, although she has choreographed and performed in many musicals herself.

Stephens, the head of dance at ULM, is originally from Oklahoma where she graduated from Oklahoma City University and started doing musical works, operas and dancing. She soon realized that her passion belonged in theatrical productions an plays. Her dream was to be a professional dancer on Broadway.

From college, she went to Texas to get her Actor’s Equity Union Card which is required of all professional performers to audition. This was her key to New York City and performances on Broadway.

“It was all an incredible experience,” said Stephens. “You have to have talent, nerve and it definitely isn’t for the weak.”

Stephens lived in Manhattan, New York for five years where she accomplished a lot in a little time. She performed in the original Broadway play “42 Street” in 1980 which wo best show of the year.

Another big Broadway Show she was a part of was “Dance A Little Closer” in 1983. She made her living as a professional ballet dancer in numerous Broadway productions.

Stephens also described the audition process as timely and very competitive. Whenever auditioning for the play “Cats,” 500 women showed up to try and get a part when approximately only 20 performers were needed.

Stephens retired from dancing after several years and then decided to pursue a career in choreographing plays and musical productions which she still enjoys today.

She decided to move to Monroe to be closer to her Oklahoma family.

“I have had many memorable and valuable experiences in theater. However, my Broadway work will always be the most important time for me and the most remembered,” said Stephens. “Being on the stage and being able to make a living in ‘living’ theater will always be the privilege and passion of my life.”

“Chicago” celebrates 15 years on Broadway this month, making it one of the longest running shows to date.

“The anniversary is just a coincidence. The musical ‘Chicago’ fits our unique student, faculty and staff,” said Stephens.

Once students are back from winter break, they will begin rehearsals for the play.

In 10 weeks, this fantastic production will be put together with the showings on March 29-31.

For questions about the upcoming “Chicago” production, Stephens can be contacted at [email protected].