The search continues

The search committee out of the University of Louisiana System is right on schedule with the process of soliciting applications and determining who will be the next best president for ULM.

The 14-member search committee consists of 10 UL System board members, including ULM SGA President Brook Sebren. Some may feel the gloom of budget cuts may discourage candidates from applying.

However, UL System spokeswoman Jackie Tisdell said, “ULM has prepared and placed itself well financially and is in a sound position to weather out the economic challenges of this time.”

Sebren added, “ULM needs its confidence restored. With the current budget crisis, we need someone to come in and build some excitement…”

The deadline for applications is quickly approaching (September 24) with four known applicants.

These include: Nick J. Bruno, Vice President for Business and Finance, University of Louisiana System, Stephen M. Condon, President, Tennessee Wesleyan College, Joe G. Delap, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Professor, Jacksonville State University and John M. Pierce, Executive Vice President and Principal, Mobile Enterprises, Inc.

Once semi-finalists are selected, the next steps are to interview semi-finalists on campus in October and select at least two finalists to recommend to the UL System Board.

A new president for ULM could be named by early November.

In related news, an Institutional Review Team was on campus conducting interviews on September 15-17, including holding a public forum.

The purpose of the institutional review, initiated by the UL System as part of the search, is to research and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the university.

The last time this review board was on campus was in 2002 when President James Cofer was announced as president.

For more information on candidates or the search process students can visit http://www. ulsystem.net/ULMSearch.