Second day of Mardi Gras Classic leaves SEMO with blowout of Grambling, ULM splits games

MONROE, La. – In a fiery game to start day two of the Mardi Gras Classic, Southeast Missouri blew out Grambling State by a score of 21-3. With a 2-0 lead going into the second inning, the Redhawks (3-2) scored an astonishing fourteen runs to put the Tigers (0-3) down 16-0. The Tigers roared with three runs of their own, only to fall with five more runs by SEMO before the game was called due to mercy rule in the fifth.

The ULM softball team (2-2) took their first match in a shutout, beating the Northwestern State Demons (0-2) by a score of 10-0. The Warhawks started on fire, with a 6-0 lead by the first inning. The Warhawks then scored four more runs in the sixth to secure the shutout, by mercy rule. Janel Salanoa and Alexis Cacioppo both scored two runs a piece, while Salanoa led the pack with three hits.

In the third game of the day, SIU-Edwardsville dominated over the Tigers by a score of 12-2. SIU-E scored seven unanswered runs before the Tigers finally scored two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning. SIU-E would then score five more to put Grambling down for its second loss of the day.

In the fourth game of the day, Southeast Missouri (3-2) was who ULM had their eye on. The Warhawks jumped out to a 1-0 lead, but the Redhawks came back to score eight unanswered points. The Redhawks held ULM scoreless until the top of the seventh, when ULM scored three. Karli Wainwright scored two runs to lead the Warhawks for the night.

In the last game of the day, Northwestern State (1-2) battled hard against IUPUI, and came out with its first victory of the tournament, winning 4-1. Blair Beard led the Demons with two hits as NSU powered its way to an early 2-0 lead over IUPUI, and on to its first win of the season.

The Warhawks come out Sunday to play Grambling State at 1:00 PM.

SATURDAY’S RESULTS
Southeast Missouri 21, Grambling State 3
ULM 10, Northwestern State 0
Southern Illinois-Edwardsville 12, Grambling State 2
Southeast Missouri 8, ULM 4
Northwestern State 4, IUPUI 1
IUPUI/SIU-Edwardsville game was cancelled due to inclement weather