Softball stretching kinks out; ready for win streak

RJBrown

After starting off the 2012 season with a bang, the softball team looks to expand on its success with a strong season, a deep run into the conference tournament and eventually the Women’s College World Series.

The Warhawks have a great depth of talent, led by All-Sun Belt preseason pick Janel Salanoa, and are looking to be hot on the season. Starting off the season with a few wins, and a few losses, the team is looking to get back on the right track, and create a winning streak.

“I think we are taking it one game at a time,” senior Roxy Cassel said. “We’re looking for less errors and more base hits.”

The Warhawks started the season dominating the Mardi Gras Classic, beating Grambling and Northwestern State, two instate rivals.

Junior Karli Wainwright said, “I think our most powerful game was the first game of the season (against SIU-E).”

She said, “We played our best, and we came together for the win.”

After traveling to Houston for a tournament against McNeese State and the University of Houston, the team showed a powerful start with a 6-2 win. Those six points would be the only points scored during the tournament, losing the next three games by a combined 24-0.

The team got back to its winning ways on Wednesday when it traveled to Birmingham to play Samford and won 7-6.

Also on Saturday the team picked up two more big wins against Virginia Tech and the College of Charleston.

ULM’s recent success is because it has a strong off-field team bond.

Freshman Alexis Cacioppo said, “We each have different talents, and we’re the best when we come together.”