Records fall like dominoes: Relays, distance times fall at Sun Belt Championships

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – Daniel Mutai broke a school record Sunday in the 5,000-meter run to finish strong with a time of 14:30.31. Mutai broke the school record by 32 seconds, and placed third in the race overall. Earlier in the day, Mutai also finished the one mile run with a time of 4:15.08, enough to finish in fifth place.

The Warhawks got another top-five finish in Josh Howard, who had a triple jump of 15.36 meters, and recevied a third-place finish from Luther Ambrose in the 55-meter dash with a time of 6.35.

On the women’s side, Teona Glove placed seventh in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:16.11, enough to give the Warhawks two team points.

Both of the 4X400-meter relay teams broke school records on Sunday, with the men clocking a time of 3:16.82 to get a third place standing, while the women ran a time of 3:51.25, and also placed third.

The Warhawks travel to LSU to compete in the LSU Last Chance Invitational. This meet gives athletes one last chance to make NCAA qualifying times. The meet will be held in Baton Rouge on Friday.