Lagergren posts sub-par finish to win USA Women’s Invitational

Brad Puckett
Lina Lagergren poses with her trophy at the USA Women’s Invitational. She placed first at the tournament, beating her previous record in the process
Lina Lagergren poses with her trophy at the USA Women's Invitational. She placed first at the tournament, beating her previous record in the process

MOBILE, Ala. –Lina Lagergren dominated the green on Tuesday to place first at the USA Women’s Invitational, breaking her own performance record.

With her one-under-par finish, the native of Sweden propelled ULM to a fourth place finish, with host South Alabama taking the team title, and the two other Sun Belt teams, Troy and Western Kentucky, finishing fifth and ninth, respectively.

After a rain-soaked and lightning-filled first day at the USA Women’s Invitational, the Warhawks’ women’s golf team placed fourth, five strokes behind host team South Alabama.

With a shortened first day due to rain, which caused a two-and-a-half hour delay, the Warhawks came out hot, with Lina Lagergren placing eighth overall, with a +4 score..

Ali Lucas followed quickly, capturing a score of +5, tying for fourteenth place. Jennifer Park and Ines Fendt both are in 19th place, with a score of +6, and Kathy Sterling came in 40th place with a +8 score.

To finish the tournament, Jennifer Park and Kathy Sterling tied for twenty fourth place, with Ali Lucas and Ines Fendt tied with one another at thirtieth place.

The contest was shortened to 36 holes, instead of the original 54 holes, due to the cancellation of the second round on the first day.

The Warhawks take two weeks off before traveling to Baton Rouge to play in the LSU Golf Classic on Mar. 9-11.