Gotta love home cookin’!

Around the world in 80 days is old news. Students got to travel it in just five minutes at the International Food Fair held last week. With at least 20 countries represented, the world was literally at students’ fingertips.

Countries featured included Israel, Egypt, Brazil, China, Nigeria and many more.

The gym was filled with the fragrances of the world. Every plate was piled high, and flags from all different countries added color to the normally drab space in Brown Gymnasium.

Dana Nugmanova, an international student from Kazakhstan, represented her country by wearing traditional garb and preparing her country’s national bread, Baursaki.

Sharing food with other people and seeing their reactions was one of Nugmanova’s favorite aspects of the fair. To see someone like the food “is the most wonderful thing,” said Nugmanova.

The food fair was a way for students and teachers of all cultural backgrounds to experience another culture conveniently- not to mention at a very low price.

Each ticket was only 50 cents, and food samples cost one ticket. No airfare was needed for this worldwide round-trip.

“I’m a culture person. I love the fact that I can experience so many different cultures in one place,” said James Willis, a senior mass communication major from Monroe.  This was Willis’ third food fair to attend at ULM.

Some students felt that a bigger emphasis should have been placed on presentation in order to further enhance their multi-cultural experience.  Multiple people suggested that all students who were representing a country should dress in that country’s traditional clothing.

Bill Rambin, past director of International Student Programs and Services, said that if world peace was ever going to happen, then everyone needs to make friends from other countries, and the food fair helps achieve that.