Warhawks start out slowly in 34-20 loss to Arkansas St.

The ULM Warhawks began Saturday’s game against Arkansas State looking for a win. Halfway through the second quarter, they were just looking to put points on the board.

The Red Wolves (1-2, 1-1  Sun Belt) jumped out to a 7-0 lead with 7:04 left in the first quarter on a run by sophomore quarterback Ryan Aplin. The Red Wolves were not done yet, as they scored another touchdown, this time by junior running back Derek Lawson to give ASU a 14-0 advantage over the Warhawks.

In the second quarter, Arkansas State scored another touchdown, this time on a 34-yard pass from quarterback Ryan Aplin to receiver Dwayne Frampton, with 7:59 left in the half.

The Warhawks would get on the board soon after by a 33-yard pass from freshman quarterback Kolton Browning to sophomore receiver Brent Leonard; however, the extra point was blocked by Arkansas State, leaving the Red Wolves with a 21-6 lead going into the half.

In the second half, ULM  (0-2, 0-1) came out strong. A four minute and eleven second drive, going 80 yards in 10 plays, resulted in a four-yard rushing touchdown by senior running back Zach Rhodes. Browning then completed a two-point-conversion to junior Anthony McCall to close the score to 21-14, but that was as close as ULM was going to get.

Arkansas State then succeeded on their next drive, going 75 yards in 15 plays, culminating in a one-yard rushing touchdown by Phillip Butterfield, expanding the score to 28-14.

After a Warhawks interception, ASU then kicked a field goal, which was good from 37 yards out, making the score 31-14. The Warhawks then drove down the field to score on a 10-yard-pass from Browning to receiver Luther Ambrose. The extra point was blocked, leaving the score at 31-20.

Arkansas State made it down the field again, kicking a 24-yard field goal, stretching the score to 34-20, which would become the final.

The Warhawks will host Southeastern Louisiana at 6 p.m. Saturday for their home opener.