Ensemble band performs concert

A number of people showed up to see the ULM Symphonic Band and ULM Wind Ensemble perform a concert in Brown Auditorium. 

Once a year, the two bands come together to be conducted by Jason Rinehart and Derle R. Long. 

The first band to demonstrate their numerous talents is none other than ULM’s Symphonic Band. Students were conducted by Assistant Professor of Music, Jason Rinehart. 

They played five different pieces by composers Frank Ticheli, Eric Osterling, George Frederic Handel and Andrew Balent.

“I have been looking forward to our joint concert because we have all worked very hard,” said Kevin Patel, percussion player and astronomy major from Vicksburg. “I was excited to play the different percussion instruments.”

Followed by an intermission, the ULM Wind Ensemble revealed their expertise by performing five pieces as well. While conducting the Wind Ensemble, Long explained the performances as “charming, well-crafted pieces that will pull you in.” 

wThe band finished off the night with their favorite piece, “White Rose March” by John Philip Sousa arr. Keith Brion.

Matthew Petit, percussion player and pre-pharmacy major from Ama, said, “My favorite piece was definitely ‘White Rose March’ because I had a really challenging solo.”

Students involved in music classes were also given the chance to receive extra credit for watching these pieces. 

“I thought it was a wonderful performance. Both of the bands sounded superb and did a fantastic job.” said Aaron McDaniel, a pre-nursing major from Monroe.