Fire victims say thanks

Dear Editor,

This letter is written in appreciation for the kind assistance to the five Nepali students, Naba Amgain, Babel Basnet, Nabaraj Kandel, Parash Parajuli and Sudil Shrestha whose home caught fire on March 4th.

Everything they had in the U.S. was destroyed in that fire.  One of them had his hand burned quite badly while trying to get his laptop out of the room but all the others thankfully escaped unhurt.

We would like to express our thanks for the outpouring of generosity which identified so many as friends of the international students at the University of Louisiana at Monroe.  Thank you to everyone who gave money, gift cards, lap top computers, ones who donated food, clothing, household items, and school supplies.  The students were so happily surprised by the good will shown by their generous professors, teachers, students in their classes, their major departments, their fellow international students, and the people of ULM and the surrounding community.  Everyone has gone out of their way to help.  There are even plans to hold a “Bake Sale” on campus to raise money!  This money will be so helpful in buying books and another laptop or two for the others.

Again, our deepest thanks for turning a disaster into evidence of the kindness of the community in which we study, work, and live.

Sincerely,

Mara Loeb, Ph.D., International Student Advisor, Naba Amgain, Babel Basnet, Nabaraj Kandel, Parash Parajuli and Sudil Shrestha