Bayou Suites might become freshmen dorm

Stephen Richters, the executive vice president of ULM, addressed the Student Government Association on Tuesday about possibly changing the Bayou Suites dorms into all-fresmen housing.

Currently, Bayou Suites holds honors students of multiple classifications. The proposed move was not taken lightly by several senators. 

“This policy is great for recruiting new freshman,” said Jamie Stelly, a junior pre-pharmacy major from Eunice, “But I feel that it is unfair to high achieving students who have been living there.”

Stelly debated Richters on the proposed policy for more than 30 minutes, with Richters finally suggesting that an apartment building should be dedicated as a quiet building for more studious residents.

However, Stelly argued the quiet apartment wouldn’t be the best choice for students. 

“I feel that the best solution to a quiet building would be extended hours at the…ULM Library,” said Stelly of the quiet building idea.

Upgrades to Madison and Masur Halls were also discussed at the meeting, with Madison receiving security updates and Masur receiving new air conditioners and new doors. Richters joked that the new doors will hopefully cut down on the number of crickets in the dorm.