Go to college; get job

The question of whether college is necessary anymore is a trending topic among young people today. Most 20-somethings would jump at the chance to abandon the college ship. But, that would be career suicide.

Sure some careers do not require a degree, just look at Mark Zuckerberg. Zuckerberg dropped out of Harvard to become the founder and CEO of Facebook.

With stories like that, the idea of dropping out of college and forging one’s own path can certainly be alluring. Unfortunately, most college dropout stories do not have this happy, successful ending.

Can you find a entry-level job that does not require a degree? Absolutely. However, if someone was filling out an application, and they had a degree and you didn’t, they are probably going to get the job over you.

Not only do many jobs require at least a two-year degree or a bachelor’s degree, but some positions even require a masters degree or higher. Don’t cripple your chances of getting a job. Get a degree.

Education is something that is so special to have. Not everyone has the opportunity to go to college. When someone willingly passes or closes that door, it’s sad.

Knowledge is power, and a good education is essential in order to gain that power.

Students should take pride in their pursuit of higher education degrees because those degrees will put them ahead of the pack.

Not only do they offer more opportunities than just on-the-job training, but also most degree programs even require some form of on-the-job training, such as semester-long internships. You get the best of both worlds.

I am a mass communication student, and my degree plan requires that I have an in-school and out-of-school internship before I can graduate. I get to have the hands-on experience, as well as  learning all about the ins and outs of the mass communication field from a classroom.

I personally feel like I’m twice as prepared as someone who just jumps into the work force. And, this type of preparation and education can only come from staying in college and really learning about the subject you are majoring in.