English Department hosts ‘The Vagina Monologues’

ULM’s English Department hosted Eve Ensler’s “The Vagina Monologues” for the third year in a row.
English instructor Vanelis Rivera and her team of students, teachers and members from the community have been working hard to put on this performance.
Both men and women came out to see this eccentric play, which honors female sexuality.
Katie Domingue, a junior pre-professional health studies major from Erath, said, “I really enjoyed seeing it for the second time. It’s a great way for women to feel empowered and embrace their womanhood.”
Ensler began writing “The Vagina Monologues” nearly 16 years ago. Since then, the play has bloomed into a national phenomenon, which women – and men – of many ages now enjoy.
The play shares both heartbreaking and humorous testimonials and feelings from anonymous women all over the country. “The Vagina Monologues” covers various subjects, such as sexual abuse, falling in love, modesty, prostitution and childbirth.
“The play involves informing others, whether it’s positive or negative,” said Charlotte Farshian, a junior criminal justice major from Brighton, England. “It’s nice to be a part of that experience and to be able to inform others.”
An organization called V-Day uses “The Vagina Monologues” as a way of supporting their cause to fight domestic violence against women.
They claim Valentine’s Day, or V-Day, as a day to celebrate womanhood and to end the violence. V-Day also raises money in hopes of giving a helping hand to those women in need.
People who attended “The Vagina Monologues” also had the option of donating money to the Well Spring Alliance, which is an organization that helps suffering and abused women in Northeast Louisiana.
“It’s a great play with fantastic information.” said Vanelis Rivera. “It involved a great variety of women performing the different monologues. ‘The Vagina Monologues’ is also for a great cause.”