NPHC hosts step show performance

NPHC hosts step show performance

Cheers filled Fant Ewing Coliseum Saturday as the crowd screamed for their favorite step team at this year’s annual Greek Step Show.

The event was hosted by former ULM student Damar Jackson, member of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and Montrell “Beastmode” Marshall, member of Omega Psi Phi fraternity.

The night was full of live performances not only from the greeks, but also local talent: campus rapper Trey Parker wowed the crowd with his rap skills as well as rapper Kel, who also performed an original song.

Members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council brought their best  competing for the title of first place, bragging rights and a cash prize.

Anticipation in the air was thick as this year’s winners, Sigma Gamma Rho sorority and Phi Beta Sigma fraternity, were announced. Despite the outcome each organization seemed happy for each other.

This was the second win in a row for the Sigma Gamma Rho’s, who also won first place at the 1-20 Classic. Sigma Gamma Rho member, Bianca Tyson, expressed her excitement for their win.

“I feel great about winning, It was a lot riding on this. People think that we haven’t been on campus for a while, but we came out and showed out,” Tyson said.

For the first time in years, first place for the men went to the Phi Bet Sigma fraternity.

Many were surprised at this win, but members of the fraternity were proud of their win.

Sigma member Alan Pittman expressed his excitement, saying, “It was a long time coming. I didn’t think we were gonna get it, but we got it today-its a very good feeling.”