Student takes mission trip to Guatemala

Jenn Hensley thought she didn’t like being around children. But after a mission trip to Guatemala she’s had a change of heart.

Hensley, a mass communications graduate student, spent a week in San Juan as a volunteer at The Children’s Malnutrition Center.

The Children’s Malnutrition Center provides temporary care to children who are severely malnourished.

She wasn’t planning to go on the mission trip, but after her sister had to back out, Hensley decided to go. After spending a week at the center  she said, “It changed me.”

Hensley was overwhelmed by how happy the children were. “These children got such a raw deal out of life yet they oozed with love,” Hensley said.

With about 75 children and only two nannies per age group at the center, Hensley and the other volunteers helped the nannies by changing diapers and feeding the children.

“America is the land of plenty and we complain about what we don’t have. But there are kids in Guatemala that have absolutely nothing yet they have so much joy because they have food,” Hensley said.

One story Hensley remembered fondly was meeting a little boy named Santos. Santos had to be separated from the other children because he was sick. After seeing him crying in the corner Hensley went to comfort him. “He looked me in the eye and my heart melted. I just went in and loved him,” Hensley said. Hensley went back every day to be with Santos. “I went to bless, and I was blessed,” Hensley said.

Hensley went on this mission trip with her parents and a group of people from the Louisiana Baptist Children’s Home. Dr. Dennis R. Hensley Jr., Hensley’s father, said he felt compelled to go on the trip after seeing pictures of the children from the center.

Dennis Hensley said the conditions of the country were heartbreaking to see. “People in our country that are the poorest of all do not live in as much filth and depravity,” Dennis Hensley said.

Jenn Hensley already has a trip planned to go back in December. “I feel a strong urge to go back,” Hensley said.

Dennis Hensley also said he’s planning to return. “My heart was struck by the people, their friendliness and their warmth,” said Dennis Hensley.