Will Warhawks get bowl bid in 2012? Tough schedule, young line mean 2012 team will spend bowl season in Monroe

When you’ve never been to a bowl game in school history, there’s a tendency to proclaim every new season to be “the year.” Fans tend to take on a Counting Crows vibe, filled with reason to believe that maybe this year will be better than the last.

August is here, and the ULM faithful is again optimistic that the Warhawks will finally kick down the door to the post-season.

No doubt they’ve been close the past few seasons, but it looks like Todd Berry and company are in for another long December.

Youth on the offensive line, the loss of several key starters from last year’s defense and a tough schedule makes a winning record unlikely.

The offense struggled up-front in 2011, and there’s similar concern with this year’s group. ULM returns eight offensive linemen that played last year, but five of them are sophomores. If they can’t keep Kolton Browning upright; game over.

As good as the Warhawks were on defense last year, they were prone to the same consistency lapses that haunted the rest of the team. During a three-game losing steak in October, ULM scored 84 points, but couldn’t hold leads late in games.

No one should expect the defense to plummet from the Sun Belt’s best to worst, but the unit must it’s leading tackler, interceptor and two leading sack men.

Like most of their conference brethren, ULM will go through the usual non-conference meat grinder of SEC and Big 12 opponents. The Warhawks open up with trips to Arkansas, Auburn and a home game against Baylor. A visit to the Super Dome to play Tulane is winnable, and one they’re going to need to stay in bowl contention.

The schedule-makers at the Sun Belt office didn’t do them any favors either. After the early season gauntlet, ULM will face three of the top four teams in conference, including defending champion Arkansas State, on the road. Sun Belt Commissioner Karl Benson shouldn’t expect any gift baskets from northeast Louisiana anytime soon.

Optimism may abound, but another 4 or 5 win season looks to be around the corner. The Warhawk’s roster is full of returners, but they look to be a year away from erasing years of frustration with a bowl berth.

Then again, I could be wrong. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time. After all, it is “the year” right?