Incoming freshmen share experience of first week

Now that the first week of the fall semester is over, freshmen talk about how it feels to be a part of the ULM community.

Dana Fennell, a pre-med lab science freshman from Monroe, said the first week as a college student was scary.

“It’s like walking into pre-school for the first time, but I’m enjoying it a lot,” Fennell said.

“I enjoy the freedom to be able to think for myself. To go to class and really have a discussion on topics you would never be able to have in high school. To be treated like an adult and respected as one. That’s a new feeling for me and I’m really liking it,” Fennel said.

Fennell said she chose ULM because her former band teacher, Chelsea King, went to school here.

“She is the main reason I even stayed in school and she got me an audition for the Sound of Today,” Fennell said.

Now a member of The Sound of Today, Fennell plays the tenor saxophone and says she looks forward to having a second family.

“Band is very important to all of the members. You really get close to everyone. I’ve only been a member for two weeks, and I feel like they’re my family,” Fennell said.

Megan Cucullu, a pre-nursing freshman from Wasilla, Alaska, traveled a long distance to attend ULM.

“I’m from Alaska so I’m far from home, but the staff and students here at ULM have made my experience amazing so far,” Cucullu said.