Hipster: old trends become new style

Oversized cardigans and a love for comic books and thick-rimmed glasses are some of this season’s hottest fashions. It definitely cannot be denied that the old “nerd” look is now the new “cool” look.

This trend of “out with the new and in with the old” is often described as the “hipster” look.

Stores such as “Icing” and “Flower Child” (both located in the Pecanland Mall) are even selling fake glasses to supply accessories to all of those fashionistas searching to fit in by being different. “Forever 21” is also another great place to get down and nerdy with a wide selection of oversized sweaters, vintage-style mini dresses and, of course, classic vintage tees.

Being a hipster is not just a fashion statement though; it’s a way of life for some students.

“The hipster trend also is submerged in politics and world problems. It’s not just a clothing statement, it’s a whole new life style for the college world,” Hanna Elias, a junior psychology major from Monroe, said.

“It has a quirky way for submerging college students into society, politics, the economy and humanitarianism.”

All of those people out there who were made fun of in elementary school for trading Pokémon cards, casting spells they learned from Harry Potter or sporting their favorite super hero on their back packs can rest assured that vengeance is sweet. All of these things are no longer classified as “not cool.” They’re very much in style.

Blame the boost in super hero movies being produced or mark it down to the simple fact that things have a way of coming in and out of style faster than Pikachu evolves into Raichu. Whatever the reason, nerd is the word.

What does it take to become a hipster? Urban dictionary had a little something to say.

“Although ‘hipsterism’ is really a state of mind, it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers and sometimes thick rimmed glasses,” said
Urbandictionary.com in one of its many definitions for “hipster.”

So ladies, slip into that sexy wool sweater. Gents, put on those penny loafers. Everyone, put on those fake glasses, and read like it’s going out of style…which with the way things are going could be tomorrow.