Professors jazz-out with renowned performers

The Louis Romanos Jazz Quartet performed in Biedenharn Recital Hall Thursday night.

Alex Noppe and Dan Sumner, two members of the ULM Music Department faculty, joined renowned jazz drummer Louis Romanos and bass performer Bach Norwood, of Dallas, to form the quartet.

Romanos began the show by explaining that this performance was the first time the band had ever played together.

The other three members of the quartet learned Romanos’ music in two hours on the morning of the show.

The group played songs that ranged from upbeat modern jazz tunes like “Funkle Lou” to heavier, more reflective songs like “Changes.”

“It’s not really be-bop that I’m playing, it’s more of a Latin and New Orleans feel. It’s like my own little synthesis,” Romanos said.

Senior music major David Oliver said the performance blew him away.

“It was awesome,” Oliver said. “They opened up my mind musically and inspired me to explore different genres of jazz.”

Following the performance at ULM, the band played a show Friday night at Jeff’s Place, a restaurant on Tower Drive, and then left for a two week tour with stops in Texas and California.

Dan Sumner, assistant professor in the division of music, said that it would be difficult to juggle teaching and touring for two weeks as the LRQ guitarist, but traveling is a key part of his job.

According to Sumner, the Music Department welcomed a class of 30 freshmen this year due to the recruiting of traveling teachers.

“Traveling gets us out into the field. If we’re not out there, then the students won’t just come to us. It’s a major part of our job,” Sumner said.

During the performance in Biedenharn, the quartet recorded several of the songs they played.

Romanos said that if the recordings came out well with no technical issues, then they would be available for purchase on bandcamp.com.