Greek students come together for 1 week

Photo by Prajal Prasai

Members of National Panhellenic Council (NPC) and National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) joined together for Greek Week as a way of unifying members of all fraternities and sororities on campus.

The event started with a leadership series and a competitive game of Catch the Flag. Throughout the week, members of Greek Life participated in events with other Greek members from different organizations. This allowed for the week to not only be about individual organizations, but the entire Greek population as a whole.

“This Greek Week has done a great job of uniting the organizations,” said Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. member, Stephen Fuselier. “I feel like it made us feel more comfortable with each other and made it easier for us to approach other organizations.”

The week continued with a kickball tournament and a 90’s lip sync battle. Greek members performed songs like “Wannabe,” “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” “Baby Got Back,” “Ice Ice Baby” and “Tricky.” Each team even choreographed their own lip sync song.

Greek Week also included a morning yoga class, dodge ball competitions and a campus clean-up. Members of Greek organizations were seen around campus picking up trash and trying to make ULM look like a better place.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. member, Tarazz Floyd said, “Greek Week is a great way to show our involvement with the ULM community.” Throughout the entire week, a fundraiser called Penny Wars was held in the SUB to help members of Up ‘til Dawn. Up ‘til Dawn is an organization that raises money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

The Penny Wars took place Monday through Thursday. Greek fraternities and sororities from both councils grouped into teams of four, presenting containers to students who could donate any amount of money they wanted to their team of choice. By the end of the event Team One (Pi Kappa Alpha, Kappa Delta, Sigma Gamma Rho and Kappa Alpha Psi) collected the most money. Over $1,000 was collected and donated to St Jude through Up ‘til Dawn.

Hope Hebert, a member of Alpha Omicron Pi enjoyed the Penny Wars.  “I liked how the money was for St. Jude,” Herbert said. “The week was about Greek unity, but raising money and donating money together makes the week even more special.”