Warhawks lose home opener to Ragin’ Cajuns

The Warhawks came up short in their Sun Belt Conference home opener Thursday night against the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns.

The ULM Activity Center had a total of 512 fans packed in the facility, with some turned away due to capacity limits.

The ULM offense was led by Samantha Morse. She finished the night with eight kills and added a solo block. Sophomore Marcela Araya led the defense by totaling 15 digs.

“I feel like we came out nervous for our first home game,” said Coach Vasquez. “We play good, but we just had too many mental mistakes.”

The Ragin’ Cajuns controlled the tempo of the game leading all of the first set and were ahead as much as nine points in the second.

The final score of the second set came out to 25-15 in favor of the Cajuns.

“We played a team that can put points on you quick,” said Vasquez. “You can’t get raddled and have to keep pressing to rally back.”  

The second set of the match had a more competitive feel for the Warhawks as they took a 10-9 lead. The Cajuns tied the game at 14 and never looked back, converting every opportunity on what Vasquez called “mental mistakes.”

The Warhawks found a 13-12 advantage in the third set, but the Ragin’ Cajuns were able to separate themselves a 5 point run.

UL-Lafayette carried the momentum to take the third set 25-19.

The Warhawks hit the road this weekend as they travel to play North Texas for a 1 p.m. match on Sunday.