ULM-Baylor game sets conference record with largest TV audience

ULM’s home opener against Baylor was a high-scoring affair in more ways than one.

The game, which was broadcast live on ESPN, broke the Sun Belt record for television ratings, becoming the highest rated game in conference history. Over 12.7 million people tuned in to watch the Warhawks take on the Bears, good for a rating of 1.8.

“It’s indicative of what happens when you have an attractive matchup,” Athletic Director Bobby Staub said.  “Baylor had the second longest winning streak coming into the game and we had beaten [Arkansas] the #8 team in the country.”

The previous Sun Belt record was set last year in FIU’s game at Louisville, which drew a 1.4 rating.

A crowd of 31,175 fans packed Malone Stadium for the white-out game against Baylor, establishing a new school attendance record.

“As long as we can continue to play like we have this season, our fan support will continue to grow,” Staub said.

Tickets for ULM’s next home game against Florida Atlantic are still available and can be purchased at the ULM ticket office. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Browning Named To Maxwell Award List

ULM Quarterback Kolton Browning has been added to the Maxwell Award watch list.

Created in 1937, The Maxwell Award is presented to the most outstanding player in college football. Originally comprised of 65 players, the Maxwell Football Club expanded its watch list to include standouts from the 2012 season.

Browning currently ranks 11th in the nation in total offense, with 1,174 yards passing and 251 yards rushing. The junior has also accounted for 14 touchdowns with 11 through the air and three on the ground.

Semifinalists for the Maxwell Award will be announced on Oct. 29, and finalists will be announced on Nov. 19. The award will be presented on December 6th at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show.