Conference drought over; win in the books

The ULM Warhawks went on the road last Friday to face Arkansas State and fell 3-0.

“We just didn’t come ready to play,” said first year head coach Robert Mazza.

But fortunately, the girls were able to redeem themselves Sunday as they defeated the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. This win was the first in over two seasons, which included 25 straight conference losses.

“After that final whistle blew everyone was emotional,” said Mazza. “Tears rolled down faces as the gratifying feeling set in that the hard work had finally paid off.”

ULM freshman Karlea Fehr scored the game’s only goal in the 57th minute. Fehr was able to steal a pass from UALR’s goalie and blast it in the back of the net.

“Karlea played very well along with other freshmen Mariah Mitchell and Antonia Land,” Mazza said.

ULM senior goalie Alex Holland earned her second shutout of the season and finished with six-saves.

“Alex was emtremely tough for us all game,” said Mazza. “This win took a lot of pressure off the team and broke a psychological barrier for some of the older girls. They understand the hard work it takes to win.”

The next two conference games will be a huge test for the Warhawks as they face Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky.

“MT has already beaten Florida International, the Sunbelt champions from last season, and WK is right behind them,” said Mazza. We are going to get something out of these games; win or lose. You never know.”

The Warhawks were able to hold the Sunbelt leading Blue Raiders in check for first half of play Friday at the ULM Soccer Complex. .

But in the second half, MTSU scored three goals in the last 45 minutes of play to beat the Warhawks 3-1.

Fehr tied the game at 1-1 in the 58th minute on an assist from freshman Mariah Mitchell.

Fehr now leads the Warhawks with five goals on the season and has had a goal in every Sunbelt match.

The Blue Raider’s goalkeeper Jessica Gilchrist blocked a score from ULM’s Cerene Arsenault on a noteworthy diving stop in front of the goal. Gilchrist finished with three saves on the match.

Warhawks’ senior goalkeeper Alex Holland tallied nine saves which brought her total to 34 in the last four games.

ULM (4-9, 1-3 SBC) hosted Western Kentucky at 1 p.m. at the ULM Soccer Complex on Sunday.