Crowning our Queen: Matherne wins 2013 Miss ULM Pageant

Twenty-year-old Amy Matherne won the crowd over and herself a crown Thursday night becoming Miss ULM 2013.

Several lucky winners won scholarships, tuition and other awards. Students, faculty and people of the community sold-out Brown Auditorium to watch the 60th annual Miss ULM Pageant. Lauren Vizza, Miss Louisiana 2012, hosted the event.

Matherne was awarded full tuition, a one bedroom apartment on campus, a $300 award to the bookstore, a two semester meal plan by the Campus Activites Board and a $4,500 cash prize award by the Student Government Association.

The 19 contestants were required to answer an on stage question about their platform, participate in the swim suit competition, show off their talents and present their evening gowns. The contestants shared their talents, which ranged from dance ensembles to vocal performances.

The first runner up was Sarah Torregrossa; second runner up, Lauren Ford; third runner up, Kylie Stracener; fourth runner up, Stephanie Fraser. The advertisement sales winner was Candice Johnson. People’s Choice Award and the Miss Congeniality Award went to Kylie Stracener.

“I am honestly speechless,” said Matherne after winning the crown. “I cannot believe I have been this blessed. It has been such an amazing, fun experience the whole way through and I am so excited about participating in Miss Louisiana this summer.”

Matherne also won best evening gown, best swim suit and best interview award. Matherne is a junior education major from Monroe. Her talent was opera and her platform is to promote visual and performing arts education for young people.

“The highlight of the night was the talent competition,” said Brittany Clark, a freshman mass communications. “These talents really showed the diversity of the girls and were very interesting.”

Sophomore psychology Major Kyle Mitchell said, “I enjoyed Lauren’s fiddle and especially Miss ULM’s opera performance.”

It is tradition for the crown to be passed down from the previous queen to the present one. Jessica Gilbert, Miss ULM 2012, had the opportunity to bid her farewells as queen to the audience.

Gilbert said, “First of all, I’m very proud of Matherne’s accomplishments. I think she is a very beautiful and talented young lady. I’m excited that I get to spend the next year with her since we both have the same director.”

Gilbert encourages Martherne as Miss ULM 2013, to attend every event she can, speak at every school and do the little things because that is what makes up the bigger picture and makes this whole experience well worth it.