New helmet rule draws mixed feelings from players, coaches

In college football, the NCAA has stepped in and mandated a new rule that forces players to sit out a play if their helmet comes off during a game.

The rule change was prompted by data that showed dislodged helmets were on the rise, up from two in 2011 to 3.2 per game this season.

The spirit of the rule–to protect helmet-less players from injury–promotes safety, but its practice has drawn mixed reviews. Some have speculated that by removing players from the game, the rule encourages team to tackle higher and grab at the helmet.

Safety Isaiah Newsome fell victim to the new rule during ULM’s game against Baylor, forcing him to come out during the fourth quarter of a tight game.

“You sit out for one play, but it could make the difference in the game,” Newsome said.

ULM head coach Todd Berry isn’t sure of the rule’s impact. But he does believe something must be done to make the game safer.

“The collisions are incredible and I don’t know that the equipment has been able to keep up with it quite honestly,” Berry said.

A concussion proof helmet does not exist, but preventative technology has grown considerably in the last decade. The Riddell VSR4 helmet–the model once worn by the majority of college teams–was discontinued after a study found that it does not adequately prevent head trauma.

Since that time, teams have moved to newer helmet models that are designed to reduce concussions. At ULM, the football program uses the Riddell Revolution and Schutt XP models exclusively.

New technology is a step in the right direction, but the helmet must also fit properly to absorb the impact of hits. Director of Equipment Clay Lewis and his staff measure the heads of each player to determine the right size, then they use the chin strap to determine how the helmet should buckle.

“If the helmet can go side to side and up and down with a little bit of give but not where it fully stays in one direction, thats a proper fit,” Lewis said.

Whether the new rule is effective remains to be seen, but for now it is a part of the game.

“There enforcing it for a reason,” Newsome said. “It’s there [NCAA’s] rules and you’ve got to play by them.”