Skiers confident, calm for nationals

The water ski team looks to win back-to-back national titles and its 24th title overall this week as it heads to Zachary for the championship tournament.

Skiing begins at 7 a.m. on Thursday and ends with trick competitions on Saturday. The events will be held at Bennetts Water Ski and Wakeboard School, located at 18605 Barnett Road in Zachary.

The championship would be ULM’s first consecutive championship since 2009. The team won four-straight titles from 2006 to 2009. The streak ended in 2010 when the Warhawks placed second behind the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

It’s rare ULM does not win the national title. The team has captured the championship 23 of the 33 years the tournament has been held.

The Warhawks have shown no signs of slowing down this season, either. The team won all three meets it competed in this fall. Slalom skier Tyler Scott said the fall meets have prepared the skiers for the tournament ahead.

“It gives us confidence we’re skiing well,” Scott said. “We aren’t overly confident, but we’re sure of our abilities.”

Scott said he and his teammates are hard at work in the Bayou Desiard practicing for the tournament. Ski coach Treina Landrum said her team is prepared for the challenge ahead of them.

“Nationals is always tough; we don’t take anything for granted. The team has worked hard, and we are ready,” Landrum said in a statement.

Scott said he likes his team’s chances, and he doesn’t think the pressure of skiing on the national stage will get to them.

“Most of us have been skiing our whole lives. We know how to prepare mentally and physically, so we know how to handle it,” Scott said.

Landrum encouraged the Warhawk community to attend the tournament to support the team and “see some fantastic skiing.” The event is free and open to the public.