Give it all you got: The new 5K fad

Organizations, fund-raisers and other groups are only contributing to the growing popularity of running. Lately almost every weekend there’s a run for a cause.

“Running a 5K is an excellent goal for new runners,” said Coordinator of Wellness Program and Recreational Services Dusty Mardis. “Even if you are a couch potato, you can be ready for a 5K in a couple of months.”

Running a 5K is the equivalent of running 3.1 miles. According to Mardis, the key to 5Ks is taking these six steps: practice, rest, hydration, stretch, pace yourself and most importantly, to give it all you got.

“My favorite run that I participated in was the Kappa Delta Shamrock run,” said Andres Granada, a senior marketing major. “I think people are drawn to participating in 5Ks because they feel like they want to be part of a bigger cause while also having fun.”

Throughout the year, the Monroe area hosts many 5Ks for anyone to participate in. This also provides motivation for people to stay in the gym or join fitness programs for a healthier lifestyle. Most 5Ks are held in the fall and spring because it is the best time of the year to be outdoors.

Alexa Mallory, a sophomore kineosiology major, said, “I’m excited because I’ll be participating in my first 5K in November to benefit a child in need in my hometown. I think they are an amazing way to help those in need while also giving people a reason to stay in shape and be healthy.”

Upcoming 5k runs this month include Grin It and Bear It at Poverty Point State Park, University Mile on ULM’s campus and the Mercy Ministries 5K in Forsythe Park.