Library louder from more classes, offices, people

The ULM library has gone from a quiet place of study to a loud home of random offices and classes.

With a total of 68 classes currently being held in the library this semester, a heavy flow of students is inevitable.

The over-populated library is mostly due to the Walker Hall fire and renovations being done to Sandel, forcing offices and classes to squeeze into one building.

Students often use the first-floor computer lab to write papers, research or take online tests. These tasks, that require silence and concentration, become more difficult when the aspects of noise and herds of people are added.

“It seems like there’s a lot more busy activity on the lower floors. I go to the fifth floor to study because it seems to be the quietest floor,” said Josh Walker, a senior mass communication major. “You always have those people that want to talk loudly in the library, but since those classes have been forced into the library, the amount of activity is understandable.”

There is so much going on in the library now that there seems to be a steady flow of people all day and into the evening hours. When you get that many people together, even when everyone is whispering, it’s still really loud.

“We regularly get complaints regarding noise from both the number of classes in and out of the library, as well as the noise from the additional university faculty and staff temporarily housed in the library,” said Donald Smith, dean of the library.

Financial aid, the registrar’s office and the Write Place are just a few of the additions to the library.

It seemed like the new extended hours would help even out the flow of traffic in the library, but nighttime is when the noise level seems to be at its highest.

“I do feel like we experience bad problems with noise levels at times this semester, especially in the evenings and night time hours,” said Joni Wilson, a student worker for the library.