Walker Hall closed until 2014

The estimated cost of the fire damage to Walker Hall is still unknown. The State of Louisiana Office of Facility Planning and Control is in the process of arranging an architect to figure plans for the permanent repairs of the hall.

The building is not predicted to reopen until the spring of 2014.

“In the midst of these challenges, our faculty and staff remain focused and committed to serving our students and the University community regardless of these less than ideal circumstances,” said Jason Roubique, director of facilities. “I think it’s important to note that we have taken every step possible to minimize the impact to our students.”

Walker Hall is not the only building requiring urgent repairs. The Chemistry and Natural Science Building is also being renovated.

A portion of the heating, ventilation and air condition system needs to be replaced. The air handlers, duct work, chemical fumes, exhaust hoods and building automation systems need replacement.

These results will improve the overall efficiency of the building so that it will last for many years to come.

The suspended ceiling area will be removed during these renovations, which will begin on November 1. These renevoations are funded by state capital outlay funds and are expected to cost around $3.9 million. The project will take approximately one year to finish.

“I feel that these renovations are good for student moral and the outlook on the campus. I believe that these changes will create a more positive atmosphere for students to learn in,”  said Jordan Bass, a freshman accounting major.

Walker Hall, formerly known as the Administration Building, was home to financial aid, the registrar’s office, the College of Arts and Sciences, English Department, the Write Place, the MRC and many other helpful offices.

The fire damaged the outer steel structure of the building, making the whole building a hazard.

The facilities, offices and classes once housed in Walker have been moved throughout campus. Relocations can be found at
http://ulm.edu/walkerhall.