Coaches continue to draw fromWells’ quarterback play

In ULM’s playbook, it’s called a “blaze” route. The objective is simple. Split out wide, explode off the line and sprint down the field.

Every team in college football sends their receivers deep, but how many do it with their backup quarterback? Welcome to the world of Cody Wells. However don’t expect too many “blaze” routes in his future.

“If I go downfield more than 40 yards I’m ready for a break,” said Wells jokingly.

He’s listed as the second team quarterback, but Wells has become the utility man for the Warhawk offense. So far this season, the redshirt senior has lined up at quarterback, split out at wide receiver and taken snaps in the backfield alongside starter Kolton Browning.

“It’s fun to go out there and mess with the defense,” Wells said. “Some of them go really wild.”

Wild may be an understatement. The two-quarterback set forced Baylor to burn a valuable timeout during ULM’s season opener. It caused a confused Blue Raider defense to run at least eight players off and on the field against Middle Tennessee State.

The unconventional look is the brainchild of head coach Todd Berry and allows him take advantage of Wells’ knowledge of the offense and ability to play multiple positions. Wells is no “mop up duty” quarterback, according to his coach.

“We felt strongly going into the season that Cody is an outstanding quarterback, so why not go ahead and put him in there,” Berry said. “It’s fun for the quarterbacks. They get a kick out of it.”

When he’s not lining up all over the field, Wells can be found on the sideline working with Browning and the offense, ready to fill whatever roll the team needs.

Wells plans to enter coaching when his playing days are over and believes his experiences at ULM have prepared him to be successful. In the meantime however, he has other things on his mind.

The Warhawks have a chance to play in the first bowl game in school history.  For Wells and this senior class who have been through a coaching change and seen multiple players leave the team it’s a chance for them to leave a lasting legacy for future teams to build on.

“It would mean a great deal,” Wells said. “This is what we all stayed for. To turn this program around.”