Tough conditions pour on strokes

The men’s golf team finished eighth out of 12 teams at Western Kentucky University’s Kenny Perry Invitational Tuesday.

The Warhawks came in with a 975 three-day total, which was 47 shots behind the leader, Jacksonville State. Junior Adam McCleary had the best individual finish on the team in 18th place.

The Club at Olde Stone golf course proved difficult all around playing just under 7,400 yards. In addition, players battled high sustained winds with gusts up to 40 mph during the first round. The average round on day one for 60 players was 83.9 and only improved to 80.53 in the final round.

Sophomore Mason Seaborn said the course was playing longer than the intended yardage because the ground was soft due to a storm that came through before the tournament.

“We struggled because we didn’t adjust quickly enough to the course and the conditions,” Seaborn said. “We did a poor job managing our rounds and keeping scores larger than bogey out of the picture.”

After tying for seventh in the first round, the Warhawks slipped to 12th on day two and then recovered four spots in the final round.

Senior Alex Malmay also agreed that the tough conditions caused the team to struggle.

“The wind gusted all week,” Malmay said. “The conditions overall were brutal. Long golf holes with no roll in the fairways left long irons into the greens that were rolling 12.5.”

Despite coming off a tough finish, the Warhawks are looking forward to the next tournament hosted by Houston Baptist University Oct. 22-23.

The men’s golf team will wrap up its fall season at the Stephen F. Austin LumberJack Crown Classic in Lufkin, Texas, Oct. 29-30.