Jaguars run past Hawks

On Thursday, South Alabama came in the ULM Soccer Complex and blanked the Warhawks 4-0.

ULM head coach Roberto Mazza said, “We just didn’t come out and perform at a high level.”

ULM got a gut check in the second minute of play as South Alabama’s Madison Rodwell was able to score after a bad clearance by ULM.

“Everyone started the game with a high intensity,” said Mazza. “After we gave up that goal in the first couple minutes everyone’s attitude changed. If we could’ve kept that one from going in it would’ve been a different game.”

Then in the 28th minute, Alyssa Mayer found the net to increase the lead 2-0 before halftime.

Going into the second-half, South Alabama had outshot the Warhawks 11-6. Twenty-two minutes into the second half, ULM fought to keep the Jaguars, but a foul in the box allowed Clarissa Hernandez to score off a penalty kick and stretch the lead to three. Shawna Trunca added even more insurance in the 87th minute with a goal from a corner kick.

ULM’s Karlea Fehr led the team with eight shots.

The win brought the Jaguars record to 8-8-2 overall, 3-4-1 in Sun Belt and the Warhawks fell to 4-13 overall, 1-7 in Sun Belt.

The Troy Trojans, ranked 8th in Sun Belt, came to the ULM Soccer Complex at 1 p.m. Sunday for the Warhawks final home match of the season. Seniors Kylie McIntyre, Kaitlin Morin and Alex Holland will be honored before the game. ULM has to win the next two matches to secure a spot in the Sun Belt tournament.