X-country Sun belt ready

Natchitoches- The ULM’s women’s cross country team finished fourth in the Demon Invitational at Walter P. Ledet Track on Friday.

This was the first time head coach Karoly Varga’s Warhawks had competed in almost three weeks. Prior to this tournament senior Sharon Sason and sophomore Anakaran Lopez finished second and third respectively in the last two meets.

The pair’s finishes slipped a bit as Sharon Sason finished third and Anakaren Lopez finished ninth. Other Warhawks finishes were Bethany Koestler in 19th, Becca Dark in 20th and Teona Glave in 22 place.

Final Scores are as follows:

1. Northwestern State-51

2. Grambling State-67

3. Alcorn State -72

4. Louisiana Monroe-73

5. LaTourneau-143

6. Centenary-174

7. East Texas Baptist-175

8. Louisiana Tech-208

9. Louisiana College-243

The women’s cross country team will run again in the Sun Belt Conference meet on Oct. 27.

Mutai is runner of the week again

For the second time this season ULM senior Daniel Mutai was named the Sun Belt Conference Runner of the Week. Mutai was honored after his top 20 finish at the Chile Pepper Cross Country Festival last Saturday. His 20th place finish came in a race with over 300 runners. His time was 31:11. The time beat all other Sun Belt Conference runners that finished the meet. Mutai is setting himself up to be the best cross country runner to come through ULM.

He also has done what no other Warhawk has by qualifing for the NCAA tournament twice and finishing in the championships three  timesin a row. ULM has brought home two wins from his individual finishes.

On Oct. 27, Mutai and the Warhawks will travel to Bowling Green, Ky., for the Sun Belt Conference Championships.