Up ‘til Dawn raises $800

Each year Up ‘til Dawn allows students to help raise money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

You might have noticed something resembling a scene from a comic book in the quad a couple of weeks ago.

Since this year the theme is ‘Fight for a Cure,’ students participating in Up ‘til Dawn dressed up and took donations for the cause.

This particular event was called ‘Capture for the Cure.’

“To go with our theme, we had members of Up ‘til Dawn teams dress up in hero and villain capes at their convenience to ask people for donations to help ‘free the heroes from the villains.’ Of course, all donations went to St. Jude,” said Shelby Wright, a junior music-vocal performance major and fundraising chairperson for Up ‘til Dawn.

This year Up ‘til Dawn raised about $800 during the event.

“St. Jude’s daily operating cost is $1.8 million dollars, and that cost is mostly covered by donations. It’s even more relevant to Louisiana residents because Louisiana sends more patients to St. Jude than any other state,” said Wright.

Trunk or Treat is another fundraising event being held by Up ‘til Dawn and will be on Halloween evening.

Trunk or Treat will be a safe alternative for children to trick or treat right here at ULM. It will be held in the track field parking lot on campus from 5-8 p.m. Participants will have their trunks popped and will be handing out candy to the kids.

The chance to help out doesn’t stop there.

Letter Sending will be on Nov. 14. Teams will come together for the night to write out letters for donations.

“We need more students to volunteer, as more student teams mean more money for St. Jude’s,” said Sunny Diaz, president of Up ‘til Dawn.