Men, women golf finishing strong

Women’s golf finishes 4 of 14

On Tuesday, the Lady Warhawks finished fourth at the FedEx Memphis Women’s Intercollegiate in Memphis, Tenn. This was the last team’s tournament for fall play. ULM shot a combined 933, which was their best showing of the season.

On the last day of the tournament, freshman Alison Knowles shot the Warhawks’ best round a 73 (+2). Sophomore Kathy Sterling finished in the top-10 for the second week straight, with an eighth place outing. Sophomore Emily Stratton stayed consistent through three rounds shooting a 79, 78 and 78. Stratton was the only player on the ULM to not break an 80.

This was the team’s last tournament for fall play. The Warhawks will continue to practice until spring season starts on Feb. 17, at Texas State’s Jim West Challenge in Blanco, Texas.

Seaborn sets career low, course record, helps team to fourth place finish

On Tuesday, ULM finished three rounds with a score of 873, puting the team fourth place at the Houston Baptist Men’s Intercollegiate. The Warhawks had four players finish in the top-25.

ULM’s Sophomore Mason Seaborn shot a career low round six-under-par (65) at Quail Valley Country Club Golf Course. Seaborn’s round tied two other golfers for a course record and pushed him into second place. Only two stokes kept Seaborn from tying first place with HBU sophomore Andy Ariens who shot 205 (71-69-65.)

A 65 round has now only happened four times in the history of the Warhawks golf team. No other golfer has ever shot a six-under-par round. ULM’s other three 65 rounds consisted of two seven-under-pars and one five-under-par.

“We took a pretty young team to Huston. Mason obviously played great,” said senior Adam McCleary. “I feel that by giving the younger guys an opportunity to play, it will give us a good opportunity going into SFA this week  and  next semester when it counts.”

McCleary and Seaborn each landed a pair of eagles on their scorecards in the tournament. The team’s only other eagle came from Sophomore Christian Tepley. McCleary, Tepley and freshman Velten Meyer each shot at least one round of 72 to help their team.

ULM wraps up the fall portion of its season at Stephen F. Austin’s Lumberjack Classic, held in Lufkin, Texas. The first round begins Monday, Oct. 29.