Delusion: Cajun style

Keeping with the spirit of Halloween, ULM will attempt to exorcise some demons on Saturday. Not that they haven’t made a habit of doing such things this season.

We’ve seen it a few times actually. Beat a top 10 opponent. Check. Come back from a three touchdown hole to secure first place in the Sun Belt. Yes sir. Pick up their sixth win and bowl eligibility? Absolutely.

Linda Blair may not be involved, but next on the docket is quite the malevolent spirit: The Ragin’ Cajuns of Louisiana-Lafayette.

We’re calling them Louisiana-Lafayette because until the University of Louisiana System says otherwise–that is their name. Even if part of me admires the sheer audacity it takes to christen yourself “THE University of Louisiana” just because you say so.

But then comes the other part. And that’s the thirst for validation needed to make such a move. Only one thing comes to mind: George Costanza.

That’s right. Jerry’s neurotic, self-loathing best friend from “Seinfeld.” George had a famous saying: it’s not a lie if you believe it. ULL seems to function much the same way.

I guess if you keep telling yourself that you’re the University of Louisiana long enough, one day it’ll come true. Maybe I’ll keep telling myself I’m married to January Jones. Both scenarios are just as likely to happen.

ULM is riding a four game losing streak to the Cajuns, with the last two defeats coming by a single point. The Warhawks blew an 11 point lead to lose 35-36 last year and went down 22-23 in 2010 on a blocked extra point.

Saturday will be the next step in Todd Berry’s exorcism of Warhawk football. A win would tie the all time series between the two teams at 24 wins a piece and leave the Warhawks in great shape to win their first ever Sun Belt Championship.

It’s a chance for ULM to drive away the cloud of mediocrity that’s hung over this program like the smell from the paper plant.

For Louisiana-Lafayette, a victory would move them closer to going to a bowl for the second year in a row. This could be the best team they’ve had since Bobby Boucher was on campus and Mr. Coach Klein roamed the sideline.

Wait? That wasn’t them in “The Waterboy?” Oh, my bad. See you on Saturday, Cajuns.