New Miss ULM crowned

A new era has begun: Miss ULM 2010, Kelsi Crain, passed on her crown to Jaden Leach Thursday evening at the annual Miss ULM Pageant.

Leach is a freshman Elementary Education major from West Monroe. As Miss ULM, she is entitled to a full tuition scholarship, a private apartment on campus, a meal plan for a year, and $4,500 in cash as well as $300 for the bookstore.

Leach won the title while competing against 11 other girls. First runner-up is Brittany Jordan, a senior Mass Communication major from Calhoun. Second runner-up and Miss Congeniality was Nicole Tucker, a kinesology major from Tyler, Texas.

Third runner-up was Kylie Stracener, a sophomore nursing major also from Calhoun. Stracener also walked away with the People’s Choice Award and the Advertistment Sales award.

Fourth runner-up was Kristen Meier, a pharmacy major from Longview, Texas. Jordan, Tucker, Stracener and Meier earned prizes ranging from a year’s tuition to $750.

Two of the 10 contestants won the other four scholarships worth $250. The judges named Susan Robinson Non-Finalist Academic winner, while her fellow contestants voted for her to be Miss Congeniality as well.

Leach learned about the Miss ULM pageant over the summer at PREP and began preparing immediately. “I have sang my song in my car at least 1,000 times without a doubt. And I have shopped a ton. Not that I am complaining,” she said.

Despite being her first pageant, Leach’s practice paid off because she won all four subcategories: talent, interview, swimsuit and evening gown. She gracefully completed each section of the competition and sang “Change” for her talent.

Cory Williams, a freshman biology education major from Bossier City, said, “She [Leach] had a great voice and it stunned me, but Clapp’s talent was my favorite,” referring to contestant Heather Clapp, who used sign language to sing along with the song “Glorious Day.”

While it was a new beginning for Leach, the night also ended Miss ULM 2010, Kelsi Crain’s, reign. However, she will be moving on to represent Louisiana in the upcoming Miss USA pageant.

Before announcing the winner, Crain shared some advice for her successor. “Make the most of your year and embrace it,” she said.

Miss ULM 2011 plans to do just that, saying, “I have so much to achieve.”