Teachers say attitude helps learning proccess

Communications professor Sharon Roach has taught at ULM for 19 years. This fall she o fell victim to budget cuts. This semester she is teaching as a part-time adjunct, but it will be her last.

“The day I have to turn in my keys, tears are going to flow,” Roach said.

For her, it’s not about the money.

“You have to find your passion in life, and teaching is mine,” she said. “If the university could keep me, I would do it for free.”

It’s that kind of attitude and passion that students pick up on. 

“Mrs. Roach was a teacher that I really enjoyed because she loves what she teaches,” said James Waldron, sophomore construction management major. “When students like myself have teachers like her, it helps us to want to do our best for her because she does her best for us.”

Glenda Swan, an art professor, said she tries to create a fun classroom environment because she feels students get more out of it.

“I’ll admit I get excited. This is my profession, but I feel like it’s a calling,” said Swan.

Swan said she feels it’s important to engage the class and to keep up-to-date on references that the students understand. “I used to give this great lecture on Roman hairstyles, and I always made a comparison to how popular Princess Diana’s hairstyle was,” Swan said. “After a while, I realized no one knew who I was talking about, so I had to change to Jennifer Aniston.”

In a world of increasing technology, many teachers including Swan are beginning to use more multi-media resources and visual aids to supplement text books because that is the world of today’s student.

While little touches like these may seem small, Swan stressed the importance of being able to communicate within the student’s universe, which is different from that of previous generations.

Rachel Barnes, a junior graphic design major, encourages other students to take Swan’s classes. “I love her as a professor. Her positive attitude about the subject she teaches is so much help,” Barnes said. “Let’s face it; any kind of history can be boring sometimes. She definitely makes the classroom more lively.”

Roach agrees that small touches make a difference for students.

“You have to reach out to students and let them know that you care about them individually and not just in class,” Roach said.