Warhawks senior night ruined with loss to UALR

The University of Arkansas at Little Rock controlled the fourth set with a 25-12 to beat ULM 3-1 Friday on senior night at the ULM Activity Center. The Warhawks are now 5-17, 1-12 Sun Belt.

On offense, ULM senior Zuzana Markova finished with triple double; 15 kills, 18 assists and 10 digs. Junior Blanca Ocana added a double double; 10 assists and 17 digs.

ULM senior Tetiana Sukach continued to show her defensive dominance as she tied UALR’s Edina Begic match high of 20 digs.

The Trojans took the first set  over the Warhawks by a score of 25-15. At one point ULM closed the gap to 9-8, but UALR offense was able to outscore the Warhawks 16-7 to take game one of the match.

ULM bounced back in the second match beating the Trojans 23-25. The set win was the first over UALR since Oct. 28, 2011, which was an eight-set streak. The set consisted of 13 ties and nine lead changes. The Warhawks were down 23-22 when head coach Ernesto Vasquez took a timeout. Vasquez was able to settle his players and they reacted by scoring three straight points with kills from Marcela Araya and Maria Garcia.

After the halfway mark ULM came out to 7-3 lead and seemed to control the momentum. UALR coach Van Compton then called a timeout of his and his players came out and outscored ULM 13-2. At one point the Trojans had an 11-0 run. ULM clawed their way back to 21-20, but UALR was able to hold their lead, defeating the Warhawks 25-22 in the third match.

UALR’s momentum rolled over into the fourth set, as they out played the Warhawks 25-12 to seal the match.

ULM will play their last match of the season Sunday against Arkansas State at 1 p.m. in the ULM Activity Center.