RiverMarket brings downtown Monroe to life

When ULM graduate student Nicolle Sims began making friendship bracelets at nine years old, she never dreamed she would one day make a business out of handcrafted jewelry.

As a vendor at the Monroe Downtown RiverMarket, Sims has had tremendous success with her line of jewelry called Modern Alchemy. 

“It’s the first time I’ve ever sold my jewelry to the public, and my sales at the RiverMarket have been overwhelmingly successful,” Sims said. “Now, I can expand to make jewelry with more expensive, exotic pieces.”

According to city officials, the RiverMarket has exceeded expectations for both shopper and vendor attendance with a crowd of 9,000 on opening day and a record of 80 vendors on Nov. 10.

Market director Adrienne La France said the unique market setting allows vendors to meet their customers, which is key to the market’s success.

“This interaction spotlights the vendor’s creative process and is more personal than just seeing a product on a shelf in a store,” La France said. “Market shoppers have the opportunity to hear the personal stories behind the products.”

“There were a few vendors that sold some interesting things. I might go back when I have some extra cash,” said Kimberly Olney, a junior education major who attended the RiverMarket on Nov. 10.

Myra Gatling-Akers with the City of Monroe said the RiverMarket has revived the downtown area, which is now seeing more traffic, more business interest, and more events.

“The week-long traffic has increased tremendously, and other businesses and developers are looking more at downtown as a location,” Gatling-Akers said.

The RiverMarket is one of many events designed to increase commerce downtown. Other efforts include River Jam, Artfest, the Gallery Crawl and the Downtown Trolley Line.

Christmas Downtown will be Saturday, Dec. 1. The RiverMarket will have extended hours from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. complete with a fireworks display. Then, Downtown River Jam will be hosting “Downtown Duel” in the historic Austin’s building at 7 p.m.

The event will feature a dueling piano performance by traveling entertainers Kirk Garrett and Troy Baldwin. The entry fee is $5, and food and spirits will be available for purchase from Warehouse No. 1.

The RiverMarket will continue each Saturday through Dec. 15 and will reopen for its full season in April.