Leonard, Hamm lead receivers in record season

The Warhawks receivers have put up huge numbers and established a few receiving records this season.

Leading that cast of receivers is Brent Leonard.

Aside from Kolton Browning, Leonard has reached a legendary status around ULM after he walked-on a few years ago. He has emerged as not only the top receiver on this roster, but as one of the top players to ever put on a maroon and gold jersey. These numbers prove that.

In 10 games, Leonard has caught a record of 84 passes previously held by Mack Vincent, (79, 2002). He has accumulated 944 receiving yards, 254 yards shy of Vincent’s receiving record (1,198, 2002), and has nine touchdowns, three away from Stepfret Williams’ TD record (12, 1995).

Leonard has three games of 10+ catches which broke a record held by Williams and Marty Booker’s for most 10-reception games (2, ‘95, 1996 and 1998).

While playing South Alabama Leonard tied Williams’ TD record (4 TD’s, ’95) and against Arkansas State Leonard was only two catches from tying Jackie Harris’ record game (16 receptions, ’88).

The next receiver who has been huge for ULM’s offense is tight end Jeron Hamm.

Hamm is everything you could ever ask for in a tight end: physical blocker, great hands, sheds tackles and ALWAYS gets open.

This season Hamm has caught 51 passes for 784 yards and six TD’s.

Four of those catches were for 45+ yards, showing he his speed and agility to compare to a wide out.

In only one game this season has Hamm not had more than 40 yards receiving (29 yards, ULL). You couldn’t even call that a bad game because 19 of those yards resulted in a score that brought ULM right back in the game.

The last two games were the most productive for Hamm as he netted 102 and 119 receiving yards with two TD’s.

The other two receivers in Browning’s arsenal are Tavarese Maye and Rashon Ceaser.

Maye has 47 catches for 520 yards and three TD’s, while Ceaser has 17 catches for 237 yards and two TD’s.

I believe Browning will turn to these dependable targets these next couple games, instead of scrambling and possibly reinjuring his foot.