Friendly face leaves post office after 6 decades

On Friday, the ULM Post Office said goodbye to more than just the mail. It also sent off one of its own. Ray E. Hebert, more commonly known by the student body as Mr. Ray, who retired after 55 years of service.

Hebert recalls the day he told his wife he planned on retiring.

“I started working 5/5/55 and I think I’ll go to 10/10/10,” said Hebert.

“He’s a wonderful man to work with and he’s a hard worker. We hate to see him leave,” said Joyce Bennett, a staff member at the ULM Post Office. She has been working with Mr. Ray for almost 17 years.

On May 5, 1955, Mr. Ray first started working at the U.S. post office. “I really didn’t think I’d like it, but I did. I enjoyed it,” he said.

Throughout Herbert’s life he has suffered some tragedies and health issues. He has had hip surgery and a massive heart attack. In 1983, his wife Katie passed away after battling cancer for 10 years.

Hebert found another love and married his second wife Kathie in 1984. A regular churchgoer, Hebert said his faith is very important to him. The quote on the back of his business card says, “If we meet and you forget me, you have lost nothing; But if you meet Jesus Christ and forget Him…you have lost everything.”

Mr. Ray’s plans for retirement are to spend time with family, to visit with his newly born two week old grandbaby and to travel.

“It’s been good for me and I hope I’ve been a good influence for the school. I’ve been blessed to have had the years I’ve had out here,” Hebert said.