Monroe on its way to becoming funroe

Monroe adds to its growing nightlife with the opening of Live Oaks Bar and Ballroom.

The multi-room facility offers different atmospheres for its patrons, providing a little something for everyone. 

The first area of the bar offers a laid-back, yet upscale, lounge vibe.

Step into the next room and it is like being at an outside concert (but with air-conditioning).

This area is complete with a dance floor, patio furniture and of course, a stage.

“It feels like a classy lounge, but at the same time a place to kick off your work shoes and have a great time with an awesome staff,” said Aaron Mclaughlin, a freshman music education major.

Mcglaughlin said it is not the typical hole-in-the-wall place.

The bar opened this past November and is in the same building that was previously home to “Miss Que’s.”

Live Oaks is a live music venue and according to Dustin Underwood, co-manager of the bar, a big goal is to “make this town a music-oriented town.”

Live Oaks provides live music on Thursday and Saturday nights and Friday is  ‘Ladies’ Night’ (where it’s happy hour from 4-7 p.m. and women still get special drink prices after happy hour is over for the men.) 

Sunday wraps up the weekend with karaoke night.

Underwood said that Monroe is in a great spot for live music because it’s located on the route of bands traveling on tour to Dallas, New Orleans and other big cities.

There will be seasoned acts taking the stage at Live Oaks, with no discrimination against any genre of music according to Underwood.

‘Rosco Bandana’ is going to be at Live Oaks Feb. 16. ‘Rosco Bandana’ is the first band signed on to the Hard Rock Café’s new label.

Some Grammy-nominated musicians are also coming to town when ‘Brownout’ takes the stage at Live Oaks on Feb. 23. 

Live Oaks is also willing to serve as a venue for ULM organizations interested in hosting socials or events.

Live Oaks is a ’21 and over’ bar and there is a $5 cover charge.

If there is a band or special event then the cover is subject to change.